Thursday, January 22, 2009

Welcome Burke William!


















We are so blessed to finally welcome our 4th son into this world! Burke William Reidsma was born on January 18 at 6 :42am! It was a long few days, but well worth all of the effort!
Saturday (the 17th) I decided to go to Target with my dear friend, Amy. We were going to pick out birthday presents for Grady, because it was his 2nd birthday the next day and I had put off wrapping things up! We were crazy for going out in the middle of a snow storm, but oh well! It worked! While we walked the store, we ran in to a few friends and talked....all the while I felt the contractions were starting to feel "different" with a bit more pressure. I took Amy home and upon arrival at our house told Jay that this MIGHT be it...and maybe we should call my Mom! Bless her heart, she came right over and Jay loaded the kids in our van and she drove them back to their house. Did I mention that they were all sick??? Ugh!!

We arrived at the hospital around 6:30-7:00ish and my midwife, Lyric was right behind us. She checked me and discovered that I was 3cm (not what I was hoping!) but that my bag of waters was bulging and close to breaking, so we were going to be staying and having the baby, YAY!She broke my water around 9:00pm and that got things going.....by 1:00am I was 7 1/2 cm...that's when it stopped! I stayed that way for a few hours and the contractions actually got further apart...oh dear...so pitocin was on the menu that night after all. I gladly accepted the epidural, because I know what it is like to be slammed with pitocin contractions, not fun. So after the epi AND the pit and a few more hours, I was still 7cm!! Lyric discovered that the baby was face up instead of down and would not descend OR allow me to progress until he was turned.

In comes Dr. F....he is a very talented doctor that my midwife respects and she wanted him to be the one to turn him. SO, for 20 minutes (and still at 7cm!) I pushed with Dr F trying to turn the baby! That was the hardest pushing I have ever done and I have the broken blood vessels and bloodshot eyes to tell the tale...
Once he turned him around, he stood back and let Lyric take over the rest of the delivery. I pushed 1 time and his head was out, and another for the rest of him! He was healthy and happy to be out! He did spend the first night in the NICU because his breathing was a little funny because all of the fluid didn't get squeezed out of his lungs. The second night he came back to my room and we were more than ready to go home on Tuesday!
Friends have been wonderful bringing dinners and we are transitioning as well as can be expected with 4 little ones! (some sick, some not! ugh!) The boys love him, but don't smother him all the time. It is a nice balance. I am soaking in every moment of the newborn-ness, it is so precious! I love nursing him and he is doing well with that! I don't want him to get bigger, but I know that is meant to be....sniff sniff. He is the most content baby ever!! He eats and sleeps, and any other time he looks around then drifts off again. We love his blonde hair and can't wait to see if he will resemble a brother or not! So far, I think he looks like Jay!




1 comment:

Amy said...

I agree with you on that one! He is so precious and sweet. I can't wait to meet him for the first time in February! Max is excited, too. :>)

Followers